Manila's Momentary Lapse of Reason: Mad Dogs and I

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mad Dogs and I

The average midday temperature in the Philippines at times feels like its around 1000-1500 Celsius (41.11c - The Temperature At Which The Brain Begins To Die) Which is why I drag myself around some of there most attractive golf courses that they have to offer!
What possess me to do this I don’t know. The heat can be at times, for me originating from a cold climate unbearable yet I put myself through it for the pleasure of that one or two great shots. My golfing partner an Ausie by origin and weighing less than the average Pitching Wedge thinks the temp is just right, and after 18 holes still has a dry shirt. Not me, I have lost enough fluid to fill an Olympic size swimming pool.
I wish I could say that I could hold my own at golf but that would be a load of bollocks. My game is almost comical yet I persist and the courses on offer in PI are great. A good golf instructor is hard to find in PI or at least I have never found one so improving my game is difficult.
Never having the luxury or courage to show off my golfing skills anywhere else other than here in the Philippines. A friend from back home once asked me “when you reach the green and clean your ball how close to the ball do you put your ball marker?” I have never cleaned my ball as my Caddie does it for me. “Caddie? These Angels of mercy are mandatory on all courses in P.I. and for the meager some of a couple of pints (10USD) they will lug your bag around in the sweltering heat for 3-4 hours look for lost balls and hand you your fluid lifeline when they think you are about to pass out with heat stoke.
Competitiveness is one of the reasons for sure why I put myself through this punishment. Although I have as much chance of winning a game of golf as Australia has of winning the world cup. With persistence I hope that some day soon Ill be able to post a blog that will contain all my exploits as a first time winner. Im not holding my breath though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steven Ryan said...

Hey Richie

Does that mean you are going to win your next game of golf?
He's being modest people! Richie your game is slightly above laughable. Had a few rounds back home last week and kept on waiting for my non existant caddie to carry my bag. Immigration is not too bad these days? Perhaps i can sort something out.
Im looking for a website to pre-order merchandise from Australia's 2006 World Cup Victory. Any tip offs?

6:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear richie do you drink your turps straight up or with a dash of lemon?

1:29 am  
Blogger Richie said...

Straight up, Shaken not stirred

6:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home